January 15, 2009

meatless for the majority

I wish it didn't take posts like this to totally gross me out in order to make me stop eating meat. This happened to me about 6 months ago when I became more informed about the slaughter practices and the inhumane captivity of animals. That time, I went 11 days in a row without meat. I love BLT's too much to go totally vegetarian and sometimes it is just easier to eat meat, especially when you have a whole family to feed. Meanwhile, I can't tell you the last time I ate a hamburger which was a direct result of my son getting sick from ecoli at the Washington County fair (which had nothing to do with hamburger but hey my thought process runs wild). From that point, I began ordering fast food meals with NO MEAT for my kids. I currently consume red meat an average of once a month and eat white meat less than 3 nights a week. Since I know I am not capable of complete vegetarianism, I am proposing a 3rd alternative to being vegetarian or vegan. I am calling it majority meatless. (Maybe something similar already exists and quite possibly it is labeled non committed slacker?)

Regardless, this week, in another concerted effort to lay off of meat I bought Tempeh. Last night I made my standby tempeh recipe which is a tempeh reuben. I cubed the other half of the package and soaked it in a marinade overnight and for dinner this evening I sauteed it with peas, added angel hair pasta and topped it with peanut sauce. Wow, was it rich and extremely tasty. Greg watched me eat it and shook his head in disbelief that it could actually taste great. I did get him to try a bite that did not contain the tempeh which he said was "not bad". He's the other one in the family that already eats "majority meatless". I will have to stay on top of his conversion to tempeh eater. For myself, recipes such as this make it all the more attainable for me to eventually abstain from MEAT. I need some bacon flavored tempeh.


Tempeh Marinade
8oz of Tempeh
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 garlic clove minced
1 tablespoon water
I added 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
Peanut Sauce
1/3 cup of natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1/3 cup water


while the marinated tempeh and peas were sauteing I sprinkled them with cayenne pepper and then tossed them with angel hair pasta before spooning the peanut sauce on top. A little spicy because I forgot that I added the cumin to the marinade, but overall a good first attempt. I was impressed with the ease of both marinating the tempeh and making peanut sauce from scratch.

Just another example of the rewards of trying something new. I am so enjoying this creative cooking. Reagan was again the big kitchen helper, even though she happily ate just angel hair with butter and cheese. Dan made his own pork stir fry with mrs. dash bottled marinade before he left for his union meeting. Greg ate pasta with red sauce. We might as well be running a diner.

4 comments:

reneƩ said...

lightlife makes a great product with tempeh called
fakin' bacon

unfortunately i can't seem to find it around our parts. i almost always pick some up when in albany at the co-op.
i haven't quite gotten a marinade down that matches the "bacon" flavor.

Allison said...

again - I'm here to taste test whenever. - You can't take greg's opinion, you know that!

Richard Badalamente said...

have you ever found a really good veggie burger?

corin said...

renee (first comment) would be the one to ask about a really good veggie burger. i just eat the garden burger brand and if i am lucky i am able to find it in the portabello mushroom variety. along those same lines..making a "burger" out of a real portobello mushroom is even better.