March 30, 2009

one more plug for prevention

I was wondering how to end the month of Colon Cancer Awareness when I received an email with this quote......

"Every time I meet a tree, if I am truly awake, I stand in awe before it. I listen to its voice, a silent sermon moving me to the depths, touching my heart, and stirring up within my soul a yearning to give my all."-Macrina Wiederkehr, A Tree Full of Angels (1988)
This reminded me of my grandfather, probably because of his love of gardening and his land. I think whether he knew it or not this was how he tended his spirit. The author of the quote encourages us to look for spirituality in ordinary everyday things. I feel closest to my grandfather when I spend time in nature....and at the same time it touches my heart.

Being able to blog about Colon Cancer Prevention has also tended my spirit and hopefully, a few of you have been inspired to schedule a colonoscopy.

2 comments:

Cedar ... said...

Corin I support this as well. I had a scare last year and although mine has turned out ok for now, an acquaintance has been diagnosed through a colonoscopy,... YES, everyone please schedule your exam, don't hesitate. Your grandfather sounds like someone I would have enjoyed knowing!

Small Pines said...

Good posting. I think it really is valuable to have people talking about this personally. Public Service Announcements are fine and all, but hearing folks talk about it makes it more "real."