April 16, 2009

mix tape assignment

If you have wondered about the read along badge at the right of the screen, let me explain. Months ago I came across a blog by Dr. Brene Brown, who is the author of the book I thought it was just me (but it isn't). I thought it looked like material I would be interested in but it was not found easily in the bookstore and I procrastinated ordering it from the internet. However, when the author inquired about whether her blog followers would like to participate in a read along, I thought it would be a cool thing to do. What a useful aspect of the internet. She is using the feedback to develop a workbook to go along with the original book. I devoured the first half of the book before the read along even began. What first interested me in the book was a snippet from the back cover that said "shaming people does not create the desire to change". I thought this information would be helpful to my line of work. What I have realized is this book is a priceless companion for anyone who wants to be a better listener and friend, practice empathy and compassion in everyday life and teach their children to be authentic individuals. The author is doing podcast lectures for each chapter. I consider it a free alternative to taking an actual class from this professor from the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work. Dr. Brown advocates practicing self care and self kindness as part of her plan for being resilient against triggers of shame that we encounter almost daily. So far we have had two "homework assignments". The second assignment was for us to make a mix tape of music that inspires us to practice self-kindness, reminds us that we're not alone and helps us stay mindful about our feelings and what is important to us. I think the possibilities are endless but my tape is a good representation of my feel good music with a twinge of consideration for humanity thrown in. Yippee for the brand new Dave Matthews song ~ google the lyrics if you need to. Whew...not an easy assignment. I am urging all of you to at least take a look at her blog. It could be just what you need.

/>
MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

3 comments:

catharus said...

Thanks for the commentary on the book. 'Sounds like something I should take a look at -- probably something everyone could stand to benefit from.

Brene said...

love your list! teach your children makes me tear up every time!

Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards